Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dream Realized

Book made in 2005
Starting a new blog is a little intimidating for me, but I'm incredibly excited about the new art/craft adventure that I'm beginning.  Sharing the journey here is something that I look forward to. 

So where do I begin?  Starting July 3rd (less than 2 weeks away!) I will begin sharing studio space with another book artist, Bridget Morris.  She's the woman behind Bella Forte.  I met her a couple of months ago, and since she was moving into a larger studio, she asked if I would like to rent space from her and have the opportunity to use her bookbinding equipment.  At first I was apprehensive about taking on the additional expense and realized that it would require me to take my own bookbinding to a new level.  With some deep thought I realized this was not an opportunity I could pass up and that the work involved to make my love of making books into a business was something I felt excited about. 

I'm a long-time crafter, but I feel learning to craft handmade books was my entry into art.  Since learning bookbinding back in 2000 I've taken on many artistic interests, but I return to books over and over again and love the feeling I get when I create a special book that can hold precious thoughts, memories and experiences.  I'll be sharing that love of bookbinding here and other milestones in my new business venture.  I'll be sharing other creative endeavors here as well.  You'll probably also hear about the music I'm listening to, the books I'm reading, and other thoughts on life as well.  I hope to entertain and to connect to readers and look forward to hearing from you through comments.

As for today I'm not so patiently waiting for July 3rd.  I have a number of ideas for books I'll be making in the coming months.  I can't wait until I have books to share with you.   I've just about completed gathering all the supplies I need for the first few months.  Please check back to see my new studio and where I came up with the name Spiral Journey Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment